Some careers can give you calloused hands and an achy back from hard labor all day.
Other jobs involve staring at numbers and calculating data day in…and day out.
Public relations, however, is a job that uses colorful words and catchy phrases as its lifeblood in many situations, so it’s not surprising to see so many great quotes from very eloquent speakers and writers.
Over the years there have been some real humdinger quotes from notable figures in history and well-known PR professionals.
A simple search online can conjure up some great responses about the profession that are sure to put the essence of PR into perspective.
Here are 10 that I found:
- “PR means telling the truth and working ethically – even when all the media wants is headlines and all the public wants is scapegoats. Public relations fails when there is no integrity.” – Viv Segal, MD of Sefin Marketing
- “What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself.” – Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of the United States of America
- “Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some hire public relations officers.” – Daniel J. Boorstin, an American historian, professor, attorney and writer
- “If I was down to the last dollar of my marketing budget, I’d spend it on PR.” – Bill Gates, Microsoft chairman
- “Publicity is absolutely critical. A good PR story is infinitely more effective than a front page ad.” – Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Group
- “Next to do the right thing, the most important thing is to let people know you are doing the right thing.” – John D. Rockefeller, early 20th century titan of business
- “Historically, PR, marketing and advertising budgets are the first to be cut. However, this could be one of the first mistakes a business makes in an economic crisis.” – CBS Marketwatch
- “Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.” – Mark Twain
- “If you don’t tell your story, someone else will.” – Unknown
- “Everything you do or say is public relations.” – Unknown
The last two quotes sum up the profession very simply, and they offer a very easy way to look at PR.
Sometimes it can be tough to explain the job of PR or the impact a good slogan or campaign can have on the public. These quotes give a very good, creative view into the world of PR and can help others understand and help un influence the PR industry has on culture.