Thanksgiving is around the corner. Grocery stores are filled to the brim with last minute shoppers, recipes will be trending online, and Detroit Lions fans will be bracing themselves for yet another humiliating loss.
Instead of thinking about the things that cause me stress, I am giving thanks to the tools that help me out the most when doing PR projects and assignments.
1. Internet: Hands down, I am grateful for the Internet. Answers are right there at the click of a mouse and the entire world is at your hands. You can communicate easily thanks to email and of course there’s social media.
2. Social Media: Public relations to me, is where businesses and brands interact with clients and vice versa to ensure that everyone is happy. Thanks to social media, you can not only receive praise about your brand, but you can receive criticism. From there, you can explore more about the criticism to ensure that your customer is happy, as well as all of your company’s publics.
3. The AP Stylebook: Makes press release writing a lot less exhausting.
4. Google Calendar: You will never miss an appointment again. Just plug in the appointment online and receive it via phone notification. Genius. Convenient.
5. Small Pads of Paper: Some like Post It Notes; I prefer using small pads of paper to jot my notes down. I use the ones charities send me in the mail when trying to get my donations. So I recycle as well. I like the variety of shape and sizes, each one serves a different purpose.
6. Cell Phone: You can actually use these to call people and say “Hi.”
7. Music: Nothing is more relaxing to me than music in the background while rushing to the finish line of a project’s deadline. It’s calming, soothing, and by golly, nothing says job well done, like celebrating a job well done by blasting a little Spandau Ballet, “I Know This Much is True.” It is quite calming.
8. Red Bull and 5 Hour Energy Shots: I know most people would say Starbucks, but I’m “new school,” I am the liberation. The 5 Hour Energy shots is the espresso to the latte that is my Red Bull. Together, no task is impossible.
9. Day Planner: As much as I love Google Calendar, I love my day planner, that much better. Google Calendar is amazing for short term events, but I love the day planner, because I can just open it up, and see right then and there, what’s coming up for the next weeks or months. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds on my phone to get my events to load, with the day planner, it takes 3 seconds; all I have to do is open it up.
10. PRSSA: I am most thankful for PRSSA. I have made great friends. I have a lot of people I can talk to about this business. I have received opportunity. I have learned so much. Thank you PRSSA! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!