That time of year is approaching! And no, I do not mean the holidays, I mean the annual Student Development Conference (SDC). For our readers who are not familiar with the SDC, this a wonderful conference hosted by EMUPRSSA at Eastern Michigan University. This conference is an annual tradition for our organization and it is PRSSA’s 15th year! SDC is tailored to PR, marketing, communications, journalism and business students. There will be guest speakers, a resume building workshop, networking opportunities, and lunch.
Our guest speakers include:
- Key note speaker, Lisa Vallee-Smith. She is the CEO of the extremely successful public relations firm in Michigan, Airfoil PR. Lisa will discuss what hiring managers are looking for, the do’s and don’ts, necessary skills required to work in PR, and how to find a job after graduation. Lisa will also be discussing agency life and how it operates.
- Speaker 2, Chad Wiebesick. He is the head of social media for Pure Michigan. Chad works closely with Governor Rick Snyder and knows all the ins and outs of social media, the strategies, techniques, and the differences in working for the government and a marketing firm. Sorry to disappoint, but Tim Allen will not be there.
- Speaker 3, Lindsay Blackwell. She is the social media manager for Fluency Media. Lindsay is a great role model for all students, and is nationally recognized for her amazing accomplishments. She knows how to market herself and found an amazing job right after graduation. She is going to discuss way to market you skills, preparing for your job search, and how to set yourself apart from the competition.
- Resume Building Workshop, Christine Olszewski. She is the special projects manager and a resume professional at Eisbrenner Public Relations. Christine will be interacting will students that will help students build their resume from the bottom up. Make sure to bring your laptop and be ready to construct an award-winning PR, Communication, marketing, or business resume before you leave.
Ticket prices are $10 if purchased before December 1 (early bird special), $10 for PRSSA members and $12 for non-members after December 1. Tickets will be $15 at the door. Order tickets online at https://emuprssa.com/payments-and-donations/. This ticket price inclues invaluable advice, networking opportunities, an award-winning resume, and lunch. All proceeds go directly to EMU’s PRSSA student organization.
• December 7, 2012
• 9-3:30 p.m. (Registration starts at 9:00 a.m.)
• Student Center Room 310 A for conference (Speakers, and workshop)
• Student Center Room 320 for Lunch (Taco Bar)
Sponsors include EMU Student Government, Domino’s Pizza and Airfoil Public Relations.
The EMUPRSSA e-board and I have worked very hard to put on a terrific event for our students. It is starting to look a lot like SDC! Hope to see you there.
Vice President of Special Events and Coordination